History of Stourton Caundle

Sir Ivo FitzWaryn

By Richard Miles

Lord of the Manor from 1369 to 1414

Sir Henry de Haddon bought land and founded a manor in Stourton Caundle in 1202 then known as Caundell Haddon.
he fourth generation descendant of the Haddon family, named Henry died on 16 August 1348, an early casualty of the Black Death, following the arrival in England of bubonic plague beginning at Weymouth in June of that year. Henry left only one heir, a daughter named Amicia, who had married Sir William FitzWaryn in 1340, his estates centred on Whittington (Shropshire), Wilton (Wiltshire) and Wantage (Berkshire). William therefore took possession of Caundell Haddon soon after their son, Ivo (b.1347, aka Ives, John or Ioun) was born in our parish.

It appears that as a child, Ivo spent much time living at the ‘castle’, a fortified manor house about 90 feet square here in the village, the site of which lies about 150 metres or so from the gate at the end of Court Barton.
But tragedy struck the family when a recurrence of the Black Death that began in 1361 led to the premature death that year of Ivo’s father, William and also that of his mother, Amicia in 1362.
At that time, Ivo was still a child but he eventually proved his age before the sheriff of Wiltshire at Salisbury in February 1369 and took possession of his substantial inheritance including Caundell Haddon.
FitzWaryn married into more property in 1372 becoming a prominent landowner, and his subsequent military and public career marks him out as a man of importance in both local and national affairs.

Like his father, he represented Dorset at the House of Commons, first in 1378 (the year his first daughter, Alice was born) and there is now a detailed account of his life available on the ‘History of Parliament’ website here

Ivo was knighted around 1370-1371 and seems to have led a very eventful military career during the 1370’s spending much time abroad such as in June 1373 to April 1374 in the company of Thomas Beauchamp, earl of Warwick, in the forces led by John of Gaunt.

Much of the action took place in France as part of the Hundred Years War. In March 1377, he seems to have got into trouble when he and others assaulted a certain John Umfray (rector at Marnhull until 1402) in connection with a dispute between FitzWaryn and Bishop Ralph Erghum of Salisbury, from whom FitzWaryn held land at Caundle Marsh.

Interestingly, the origin of the name Bishop’s Caundle although uncertain looks to be linked to it being the property of the Salisbury Bishopric. This was certainly the case in the 14th Century and Bishop Erghum had by coincidence previously been the Chancellor to the extremely wealthy John of Gaunt during the period when FitzWaryn fought on behalf of the latter. Obviously the two of them must have clashed at some earlier time.

The dispute with Erghum was a serious affair and it resulted in him and 20 others, including several from Caundell Haddon, being excommunicated by the bishop! FitzWaryn appealed to Rome and Canterbury, and his excommunication was suspended whilst his case was being heard. The dispute rolled on whilst Ivo was engaged in military service at home in the years following the Peasant’s Revolt in 1381 and occasionally in France. It was not until some 10 years later that matters were settled in 1387, thanks to a surety of £4,000 (a huge sum in those days) being put up by Ivo’s supporters guaranteeing his future good behaviour towards the bishop, whilst Fitzwaryn’s undertaking not to harm Umfray followed a few months later.

As an aside, there are other links between the clergy and Bishop’s Caundle, in that the area of the parish known as Caundle Wake is believed to have belonged to William Wake, Archbishop of Canterbury from 1715-1737: a local boy born near Blandford Forum in 1657.

Part 2
Ivo FitzWaryn’s later life and his links with thrice Mayor of London, Richard (‘Dick’) Whittington