History of Stourton Caundle

Sir Ivo FitzWaryn

By Richard Miles

Early years

In Part 1 of this series of articles, I introduced Sir Ivo as having been the only son of Sir William FitzWaryn born 30 November 1347 to Amicia, daughter and heir of Henry de Haddon. In those times the village was known as Caundle Haddon, and the name lives on by way of Haddon Lodge. Ivo lived to be Lord of the Manor for many decades although he was born the year before the Black Death arrived (via Weymouth) and ravaged the country, off and on, there afterwards.

Ivo’s father, William, was a younger son of Fulk, Lord Fitzwaryn (who died of the plague in 1349), and was a member of an important family whose estates centred on Whittington (Shropshire) and Wantage (Berkshire). The head of the family had been summoned to Parliament as a baron since 1295, and Sir William Fitzwaryn was himself called to the Great Council of 1342. He and his son remained close to the main line, and their arms were essentially those of Fitzwaryn of Whittington.

FitzWaryn_arms.jpg
Sir William (like his father, Fulk) died of the plague in 1361 when Ivo was just 13. The tomb of his father and mother can be found in St Peter and St Paul’s Church, Wantage (see photo). With Ivo being a minor with a large potential inheritance, he became a ward to Queen Philippa, the wife of King Edward III. In 1362, the Queen granted temporary custody of his estates to others, for the sum of 1,100 marks.

William_Amicia_Fitzwaryn.jpg

Ivo came from a distinguished line of knights who fought on behalf of the Crown in many battles and campaigns and he would also prove his worth in the military field. Indeed, being a ward of the Queen, his association with the Royal Family from an early age would have left a mark on his character and his ambitions and partly explain why he achieved a great deal in his 65 years.

His military career appears to have begun whilst still a teenager. He proved his age before the sheriff of Wiltshire at Salisbury in February 1369 and so, aged 21, he took possession of lands and rents at Wantage, the town of Wilton and other properties in Wiltshire, the manors of ‘Ilebrewers’, Pitney and Wearne in Somerset, and Winterbourne Houghton, Up Cerne, Caundle Haddon and other properties in Dorset, these being his inheritance from the combined estates of his parents. Ivo was knighted not long afterwards, certainly before 1371, when he served at sea with Humphrey de Bohun, 7th Earl of Hereford. Aged 24, he married Maud de Argentine acquiring the manor of Newton Ferrers in Devon. He led a very active life during his twenties. From June 1373 until April 1374 he was abroad (probably in France) in the company of Thomas Beauchamp, 12th Earl of Warwick, one of the forces led by John of Gaunt. A brass depicting Sir Ivo in full armour can be found in Wantage Church.

Ivo_Fitzwaryn.jpg

The 14th Century saw the evolution of Parliament as we understand it today, and, as Sir Ivo FitzWaryn of Caundle Haddon, he first became a Member of Parliament for Dorset in 1378. He served as an MP for constituencies in Dorset and Somerset on five occasions, lastly in 1407.

As a FitzWaryn, his family had held Whittington Castle in Shropshire most years from 1204 until 1420, and rather surprisingly, in 1394, he was awarded the keepership of the manor and castle of Whittington that lasted until 1407.

As we have seen previously, his daughter Alice married Richard (Dick) Whittington, whose family is linked to Whittington, Warwickshre and not the FitzWaryns of Shropshire.